Parental Guidance

I always thought my mom knew everything and looked for her approval in my life. Now I look at her and see a person I respect, but a wife I never want to become. It is no secret that my parents don’t exactly have a great relationship, I don’t know that they even try to hide it anymore. I went out to their house today to visit and help out with a couple things. After three hours I was practically running out of there screaming. On the way home I thought that since I had not come up with any other ideas for Christmas, maybe I could get them a divorce.

My dad is not in the greatest of health anymore, there is a lot he can no longer do. His lungs are basically shot as emphysema had set in a few years ago. But he still gets out and about, doing little odd and ends. Much tougher than most people think he is. My mom tends to treat him like a five year old and assumes he can do nothing of any value anymore and he will crumble away if she is not right there with him, doing everything for him. Then she constantly complains about him when he is not around. When she is not around he complains about her being so cranky. I feel like monkey in the middle and don’t know what to do about them anymore.

So now I am wondering if I should maybe say something to them. Some of the other kids don’t visit as often because they are tired of it too. How do you tell your parents they are cranky and no one likes it anymore? I am usually the one who my mom calls outspoken, meaning I am not afraid to speak up when someone else is being a jerk. I guess I never thought it would be my parents I would have to speak up to.

I will spend some time pondering this before I make any rash decisions. I would like to get them to talk it out, but I think it is beyond that. I know something needs to be done before the holidays arrive, otherwise no one will want them at their house acting like this. Wish me luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment