Wants vs. Needs

My dream is to live on an island, preferably one of the US Virgin Islands. I would work part time doing whatever at a tourist trap and freelance write on the side. I often wonder if that were to come true what I would take with me. My answer would be:

1. My husband (obviously)
2. My pets (I would hate to leave them behind)
3. A box of my favorite books
4. A radio/cd player with a box of our cd’s
5. My laptop with an Internet connection
6. A small TV to pick up some news channels.

OK, I do like stuff, but what is really needed to make me happy? That is a big step in life, to discern our wants from our needs. Some people have a big list, others small. Being home alone more often I have discovered that I usually don’t turn anything on during the day. I like the quiet and enjoy sitting with my dog and a book. Sometimes I read aloud to him and even the cats will come and listen. This is how I relax and it makes me happy.

I am not saying I don’t enjoy the radio or television, quite the opposite. I follow a few TV shows and have a list of favorite movies. Music moves the world, I cannot imagine living without it. I love to read and picture the story in my mind, the same holds true with music. Music can tell a story, change your mood, spark a memory, and make you laugh or cry.

Given the opportunity, I could survive with the first four on my list, but number five would be a big help. Number six would be considered a luxury, especially if I had an island view to look at instead. I could picture hubby and me sitting on a deck at the end of the day, watching the sunset, sipping a cocktail, feeling the cool breeze off the ocean. In the end it will be who I loved and where we journeyed that will matter, not the toys that distracted me.



0 comments:

Post a Comment