Learning the NFL

Watching men in tight pants chase a ball around was what I thought football was. It seems that I was half right in my assumption. Men do run around in tight pants chasing a ball and beat each other up, but to a crazy set of rules.

The NFL started in 1920, although it was originally called the American Federal Football Association, changing to National Football League in 1922. Fifty years later in 1970, the first Monday Night Football was aired and there has been no going back since. The NFL has grown to mammoth proportions; the most recent NFL draft drew an estimated 36 million viewers. Pretty amazing considering the World Series averaged about 16 million viewers over a five game period.

Football is a very confusing game to the novice sports watcher, which would be me. Each season I question what each player is doing and what their title is, my husband being the very patient teacher. But I am proud to report that I have learned the basics and can follow a game. I could not tell you what every single player on the field does or their position, but that will come in time.

Sports were never my forte as I am sure you probably figured out by now. My husband is the sports observer; I just come along for the ride. He will watch just about any sport, but NFL season is the big gig. Sunday football has become an event in our home. Housework is generally completed before the games start, and there will usually be game food, or a special dinner at half time. Considering my love to cook and eat, especially finger food, I fit right into the pattern.

Football is indeed a happy time for vendors that sell team accessories, not to mention the chicken wing and beer markets. Everybody gets in on the football craze. Bars offer specials so patrons will go to their establishment and watch the games, meanwhile consuming beer and snacks. It is easy to purchase team jerseys, jackets, banners, blankets, bedding, bumper stickers, and the list practically goes on forever. Fans will proudly display their favorite team on their shower curtain, or even with a tattoo.

Loyal fans are the heart of the NFL; they are what make it fun, kind of like a Jimmy Buffett concert. Even Jimmy likes football. He has purchased the naming rights to the Miami Dolphins stadium. It is now known as the Land Shark stadium and he is also reportedly writing a song for the Dolphins. Now that is what I call a fan.

As of this Sunday and Monday, and for the next sixteen weeks, I will be joining the masses in watching the world’s largest professional American football league. Feel free to join in, just don’t forget the buffalo wings and beer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment