Letting Go

Do you ever have a conversation you wish you could take back? Yeah, I have had a few good ones. I recently minced words with a close family member, trying to make her think about her decisions, which basically resulted in a shouting match. She is officially an adult now at 18, but I try to remind her that although being 18 makes you an adult, it doesn’t necessarily make you mature. That went over like a turd in a punch bowl. My main concern is that she doesn’t seem to show much respect and hides behind text messages and emails. I wonder what will happen when she actually has to face someone in real life.

So I have come to realize that I just have to quit trying and let her go with her life. All my knowledge from years of trials and tribulations holds no sway; she wants to do it herself. I myself was a bit rebellious at that age too, but I knew when to listen to someone and trust my instincts, which kept me out of a lot of trouble. Things change, generations change, the world changes. I tend to think this generation of teens is spoiled and would have gotten their butt kicked back in my day, as I am sure someone thought that about me.

I bid her adieu and good luck while she starts her own life now. A day will come in the future when I am sure I will get to tell her “I told you so.”

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
- George Carlin

0 comments:

Post a Comment