Learning Curve

I paused at the door and checked the room number again, then hesitantly walked through. I picked a desk close to the door, an easy escape route I guess. Unzipping my backpack and pulling out the required books and writing utensils, I watch the rest of my classmates file in and take seats. Eventually the teacher comes in, checks the time, and closes the door indicating class has begun. The door swings open to admit a young girl who smiles guiltily and rushes to find a seat. Again the teacher closes the door and begins class by introducing themselves and summarizing the class while we watch, listen, and wonder what we got ourselves into.


This is what I experienced many times this week as I started school full time. I have not taken a class in eight years and have not gone full time since high school, which was twenty years ago. Ugh, that makes me sound old.

As I learned what was expected in each class I felt a little doubt enter my brain questioning my ability. When the assignments started, that doubt gained leverage in a couple classes. Let’s face it, school can be scary.

While I continue on next week I can only hope that my brain will adjust to getting this overabundance of information and start absorbing it into memory. Originally I said my goal would be to make the Dean's list (a 3.5 or higher gpa). Now my goal is to try for the Dean's list, but be happy with a passing grade. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment